Old August 16th 13, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Naviter Oudie 3

Hi Max,

I guess I just disagree with the IGC on how secure loggers need to be. They
make the decisions. I respect them and everything they do. But I
respectfully disagree on whether products like the Oudie should be approved
for badges and records.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
__________________

"Max Kellermann" wrote in message

On Friday, August 16, 2013 1:39:23 PM UTC+2, Paul Remde wrote:
They don't trust PDA/PNA devices because they
think someone could write software to intercept and change the GPS data
before it is recorded. I don't agree with them on this, but that is I
understand their position.

You don't agree that somebody could write a software to fake GPS positions?
Seriously?

It's a technical fact that this can be done, and it's fairly easy. I do it
all the time while I develop XCSoar, to test the software I write.

Your personal opinion on this is provably wrong. Stuff like that cannot be
decided by consensus or personal opinion - if it's technically doable, no
opinion can ever make it impossible.

(With some more effort, all loggers, even sealed ones, can be spoofed,
without ever touching the logger - this has been demonstrated last week by
the University of Texas. Never say never.)