View Single Post
Old July 29th 14, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Default US Tasking? Are way too many TATs/MATs are being called vs. NOTENOUGH ASSIGNED TASKS (3% in 2013)

I am enjoying the posts all on both sides of the issue. Thanks!

I agree there is a need for a TAT. My question is how much of a need?

I agree that "LONG" (emphasis on LONG!) MATs are better than TAT's (better test of skill, more fun). They also allow for AT like tasks with wider handicap ranges.

But only 3% of US tasking in 2013 was pure AT! That's right, ONLY 3 PERCENT!

Isnt that WAY, WAAAAY too low a proportion of the US Tasks? Or is this what "we" want? The AT is now "virtually gone" for all intents and purposes in the US. Furthermore, many (MANY) of the MATs were only 1 turn. 2 of 8 (25%) tasks in the 2013 Sports/Club Class Nationals (Mifflin) we actually ZERO turn MAT's. Is that even fair for a non local pilot? That is 2 ZERO turn MAT's at a National Championship? I was shocked to see this.

It seems to me that we are running wild on eliminating ATs from our tasking.. Quality tasks are dropping dangerously low (assuming that you think pure, simple Assigned Tasks are of higher quality than TATs). We are now almost exclusively calling wide turn area tasks or one turn MAT's in the US. Even at Nationals only 10% of the tasks are Pure AT's.

Overall, we are down to 3% AT's in the entire SSA and USA in 2013. That is a stunning, glaring fact.

Sean

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:39:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:25:28 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:

If the handicap range is wide there is really no choice on a TAT other than large circles.and the handicap range doesn't have to be terribly wide to produce a wide variation on speeds achieved. On a good long soaring day that drives the requirement for a wide range between minimum and maximum distance

Not true Tony.

Add another turn area and the size of the cylinders drops significantly.

This allows the variability in task length without using cylinders that are 30 miles in radius.

I prefer cylinders of 10 to 15 mile radius maximum in part because this allows the pilot to see enough of the usable area to make decisions.

4 turn areas seem to work well for this.

UH