Old February 19th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Proposal to Airport for Soaring Club

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 1:05:27 PM UTC-6, S9 wrote:
Hello all,
We have a municipal airport wanting our club to relocate to their airport.. It is a good location and has both a paved runway and an excellent 150' wide grass runway. This location could be a good contest site and closer to the city than our current location. The club is considering making a proposal to the airport board about what the club would need to re-locate. In the meantime we are going to have a couple of weekends at this airport to try it out. BTW the board said they would build hangar and would support contests.

SO, what would you suggest we request in the proposal. Thank you for your comments.

S9

Like Bruce said, it is important not to mix the pattern for power and gliders, they should be opposite for both landing directions. Also make sure they understand that you will have to bring the gliders and support vehicles to the runways and that you will retrieve gliders using such vehicles. This will greatly upset the normally pristine environment that power pilots on taxi- and runways are used to. Your host airport will also have to understand that you will push gliders onto the runway and hook them up, launch them. During that, possibly long time, the runway is not usable for other AC. Some power pilots "freak out" when realizing there is glider traffic and will avoid the airport or complain. We had a student pilot land at Harnett Co. AP in NC and find herself opposite to a glider on base (didn't listen to radio calls). She landed and the instructor had to fly in to get her, she was so "upset".
What most airport operators hate with a passion is car traffic on taxi and runways. Tell them how to minimize that. Also, how will visitors to the glider club get to the operating runway? Lots of friction points, good luck.
Herb, J7