Old February 20th 17, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Proposal to Airport for Soaring Club

On 2/19/2017 12:05 PM, S9 wrote:
Hello all, We have a municipal airport wanting our club to relocate to
their airport. It is a good location and has both a paved runway and an
excellent 150' wide grass runway. This location could be a good contest
site and closer to the city than our current location. The club is
considering making a proposal to the airport board about what the club
would need to re-locate. In the meantime we are going to have a couple of
weekends at this airport to try it out. BTW the board said they would build
hangar and would support contests.

SO, what would you suggest we request in the proposal. Thank you for your
comments.

Lotsa good input from Bruce and Herb already, and (maybe ) one tidbit from
me...

If/when it comes time to discuss suggested/preferred/taught landing patterns,
and the mixing of power/glider traffic, you may wish to Google-Earth Boulder,
CO, airport's layout, a relatively busy municipal field long-surrounded by a
city/housing and with 3 parallel (no crosswind) runways.

Since my arrival on-scene ('76) the preferred/taught/generally-insisted-upon
glider pattern has always always consisted of a crosswind entry at midfield at
800' agl, followed by the usual downwind/base/final to whichever runway is in
use, the glider pattern always inside the power pattern (which has "the usual
suggested entry points" from a 45-degree entry to the downwind, or, a
crosswind entry from overhead/beyond the numbers). Except under genyoowinely
unusual circumstances, the gliders land on the two northernmost runways, and
the power traffic (including some light jets) uses the southernmost runway.
It's worked well for a long time, with 1-2 clubs and a glider FBO on the north
side of the runways.

I'm aware of two pattern midairs involving gliders since 1970, both involving
a powerplane and a glider. One occurred (so I was told) on downwind before my
time there, and another involved an out-of-town, loose-formation-flying (so I
read) RV from out of town busting directly over the airport at 800' agl,
colliding head-on with a glider doing what all published procedures suggested
he *should* be doing. (In the latter instance, both planes were flyable after
the collision, though the RV stalled and spun into a lake turning from base to
final, with the expected result.)

YMMV.

Bob W.