Old July 1st 03, 07:33 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Bill Kambic" wrote in message
"Blair Maynard" wrote in message

My question is why not configure the rear engines as pusher engines?

Did the German Arrow aircraft not show that this was an effective
combination?

The total number of "pusher" designs that went past the drawing board can

be
counted on about one hand. The FACT that nobody ever produced them in
numbers during the Golden Age of Prop Aircraft (a/k/a WWII) should tell us

lot about their feasibility.

There are a few more than that

In no particular order the Vickers FB5, DeHavilland DH-2 , Convair B-36 ,
Beechcraft Model 2400, Nomad II & III and Supermarine Walrus come to mind

There are problems with airflow stability for a pusher design but I suspect
the biggest problem was pilot survivability, especially in single engine
designs.

Bailing out with a prop behind you is hardly a nice idea, as I recall they
tried various fixes on the DO-335 including explosively blowing off the
prop and fitting ejector seats.

Keith