Old January 14th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Airpark lot, things to consider before buying?

Howdy,

I'm lucky to have found a lot nearby that has pretty much everything I
want, including 2600 ft. of turf runway. This whole thing has been
carved out of the bush in the past 6 months. Great fishing is just a
stretch of the legs away, and while it is awfully rural, it isn't that
far away from a lovely metropolitain city or the beach.

There is only 5 lots on this airstrip vith varying acreage. One end of
it faces a lake. (Good, not flying directly over anyones house) The
other end is purpendicular to a country road with a small trailer and a
large piece of acreage on the other side. It isn't on the current
sectional. I've chatted briefly with the fellow who built it. There is
only his house on it at this time, and he doesn't have an aircraft
based there. There is no obvious evidence that an aircraft has ever
operated from it. There is a rather large sign aftertising the lots as
"airpark" lots on this little country road, so I imagine the fellar
across the street has at least some understanding of what this large
field is intended for.

However there are a few things burning a hole in the back of my mind
preventing the checkbook from flowing forth. City state and federal
ordinances for one. What constitutes legitimacy for an airpark? I've
heard some horror stories about litigation between the state and
private airstrips. I'm awfully concerned that 5 lots is not enough to
make a good show and Bubba's courthouse-and-saloon.

I'm thinking I need to hire a paralegal to look up any applicable laws
and precedent before buying. I also was thinking of knocking on some
neighbors doors and get an idea what the community thinks about it. I
will of course wear my hip-waders and a cow bell lest I get shot for
rustlin'.

Anybody been through this? Advice?
-Matt