Old April 20th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default hard wax application

It is very important to seal the surface of your fiberglass glider.
Moisture does evil things to gelcoat.

Many years ago, we contacted Mother's Gold, one of the major suppliers
of automobile paste wax. It was advertised as 100% pure carnuba wax.
We bought a can. The product was very soft so it could be applied by
hand. We asked what is in their product?

Yes, the wax is pure carnuba, but there were 40% undesirable things to
make it soft. I explained what are needs are for fiberglass gliders.

Some years later, they called me to announce a new product. It is
called Mother's Gold, "Natural Formula." It has a small amount of non-
harmful softener (it is still pretty hard) but can easily be applied
by hand or machine.

We sell a lot of it to glider pilots, and as with all gliderports, we
appreciate your support.

Tom Knauff
Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies
Ridge Soaring Gliderport