Old April 21st 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default hard wax application

On Apr 20, 10:43*am, Tuno wrote:

I have a Makita 0-3000rpm variable speed polisher, a brick of hard
wax, and a mandrel and other accessories I got from the dealer. Is
there a technique writeup on the web somewhere?

~ted/2NO

I am sort of surprized that nobody else has said this, but I think
3000 RPM is WAY too fast. Try to keep it to 1200 or less. And is
what you got one of those random orbit things (junk, in my opinion) or
a pure rotating buffing wheel?

I used 3M stuff (Super Duty Rubbing Compound, followed by Finese-it
II) on a rather oxidized 18 meter ship. It had been re-finished back
in 1989 with Prestec, and put in the trailer until I bought it in
2006. It was stored near Minden. After the 3M stuff to get it shiny
again, I used Wx Seal and Wx Block. The 3M stuff and the first Wx
product was applied with my power buffer, the second Wx by hand and
everything was hand wiped after with clean white towels. Each side of
each wing took me about one hour on each product with the buffer or
hand application, and about an hour with the towels hand cleaning and
buffing afterwords. In my opinion, the wings on that 39 year old BS1
looked as good an anything new coming out of the factories. OK, they
are thick and wide compared to your 29, and a bunch heavier, but I
think they look fantastic!

Each process had its own buffing pad, and its own towels for applying
and buffing. I still have to do the fuselage.

I would agree with Andy, and get to work applying Wx Seal and Wx
Block. And, if I can ever get around to it, I have a bunch of other
planes I need to get around to polishing and sealing.

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS