Old August 27th 19, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:48:03 AM UTC-6, 6PK wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:52:12 PM UTC-8, Linar Yusupov wrote:
вторник, 30 октября 2018 г., 11:35:04 UTC+3 пользователь Linar Yusupov написал:
Will this device work with iGlide on IOS?

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is active in the firmware's source code since October 9th.
Known to work good with SkyDemon, Air Nav Pro.
You could let us know if it works with iGlide too.

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is a part of most recent firmware update.

Release notes:
https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/releases/tag/1.0-rc6

I'm on the fence to add Flarm or something like this thread is all about to my glider in the upcoming off season. Any news or comment how this system is working presently would be appreciated.

If you have $1.5K+ to spend, buy a PowerFlarm.

Although....

Having used the Soft RF Flarm device for a year, I can say that it does work well as a sailplane proximity device. I have as good as or better range than a commercially available Power Flarm. I see them and they see me. Last summer our OGN tracking station could see my LAK over 40 miles away and this summer a pilot told me I was visible to his powerflarm at 18 miles distance. It works.

It only sees Flarm traffic so in that regard it is not as complete as a Power Flarm that also sees transponder traffic. For a very small amount of money it is a very good safety measure. There is now a separate wifi display with voice alerts available for about $35.00 that easily connects to the SoftRF Flarm device. So, if you purchase the boards yourself and have the enclosures 3d printed you can have a Power Flarm compatible device with a daylight readable display for less than $150.00 US.

Mike