Old January 22nd 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Frequency of convictions for lying on FAA medical form

Consider what you're hiding? A prescription for a banned
FAA drug means you're being treated by a doctor and the
condition requires treatment and the drug may have
side-effects. You get to fly with the worry that you'll be
caught or die from the disease or drug. Maybe it is a
sedative and your judgment will be effected further and
you'll fly into freezing rain or a thunderstorm.

Odds are the only people you'll kill will be family and
friends of yours, so go ahead.

"Sally Grozmano" wrote in message
. ..
| Grumman-581 wrote
in

news |
Grozmano wrote:
| It seems to be "common knowledge" that many pilots do
lie, but I never
| hear of actual convictions.
|
| There's a fine line between not volunteering additional
information and
| actually lying... Or perhaps it's just not volunteering
information that
| the FAA has no way of finding out anyway... evil-grin
|

| Once one signs the bit that says, "I have completed this
to the best of my
| knowledge" (or whatever) it becomes lying. But anyway....
|
| I know that the FAA can actually find out about some
omissions, e.g. DUIs
| (because you also sign the bit that allows them to search
the driver
| registry) and the recent case where people were also
claiming SSI benefits.
| I'm just not so sure on stuff like prescriptions. If they
are controlled
| substances, they have to be on record with the DEA or
something, no? Non-
| controlled substances are known by one's insurance
company, but I am pretty