View Single Post
Old June 1st 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

A line of thunderstorms prevented a return to Moriarty a few years ago so I elected to land at Santa Fe (Class D). The tower cleared me on to RWY 20. On rollout, the Tower inquired whether I would need help to clear the runway. Simultaneously, I realized I had forgotten to dump my water ballast. I was familiar with the taxiways, having done an airshow with Bob Carlton some time before, so I replied that I would take Taxiway F to the ramp. Had plenty of energy, so I made the ramp and stopped a couple hundred feet from the Tower. As I was getting out of the cockpit, I realized I had a perfect opportunity.

I waved at the guys in the Tower, and they waved back. Then I turned around, pretended to fiddle with my zipper and stood there acting like I was just peeing on the ramp. Opening the dump valves, I could only imagine their outrage turning to consternation as 30 gallons made a quite impressive puddle on the concrete.

A few minutes later, two laughing Tower personnel came out to help me push the glider to a parking spot and tie it down. They thought the situation was hilarious.

The next year, I was overflying SAF at 16,000 and I gave the Tower a courtesy call on the radio. They acknowledged, and a few minutes later transmitted, "628 Charlie Alpha, did you land here last year?" I replied in the affirmative, and they said, "We still talk about that."