Old March 1st 04, 01:02 AM
George

I had always planned on getting my instrument rating- within the next
year, probably. But last weekend I had a chat with someone who really
got me thinking about it.

This guy is a friend of a friend and is a retired 20,000 hour ATP.
Retired in the 80s flying 707s and I forget what else. Instructed in
Cubs for years. (Guy has nine count 'em nine engine failures in Cubs!
Two inside 20 minutes once!)

So, this is what he told me: unless I'm going to be flying 3 times/week
at least, getting my instrument ticket is a waste and possibly dangerous
as well. He thinks I'll be more likely to end up dead with it than
without it. (Logic being, obviously, that the ticket will give me such
a sense of security that I won't be afraid of hard IMC even when I'm not
current enough to handle it.)

Thoughts on this??

Tell your ATP friend of a friend to go jump in a lake, or have him join on
here and I'll tell him myself. One of the best things you can do for your
own safety and satisfaction is to get an instrument rating. You can fly
hard, medium, or light IMC depending on your own risk levels, equipment, and
conditions. People who are instrument rated can decide what they think
they're ready for just like a private pilot can.