Old March 1st 04, 01:08 AM
Ron McKinnon

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
ink.net...
I had always planned on getting my instrument rating- within the next
year, probably. But last weekend I had a chat with someone who really
got me thinking about it.

This guy is a friend of a friend and is a retired 20,000 hour ATP.
Retired in the 80s flying 707s and I forget what else. Instructed in
Cubs for years. (Guy has nine count 'em nine engine failures in Cubs!
Two inside 20 minutes once!)

So, this is what he told me: unless I'm going to be flying 3 times/week
at least, getting my instrument ticket is a waste and possibly dangerous
as well. He thinks I'll be more likely to end up dead with it than
without it. (Logic being, obviously, that the ticket will give me such
a sense of security that I won't be afraid of hard IMC even when I'm not
current enough to handle it.)

This is like arguing that you shouldn't wear a parachute, cause
if you do you'll take extreme chances and kill yourself.

My personal belief is that training and/or education (and travel) is never
truly wasted, even if you never use it again.

If you're the kind of guy who thinks the rating is a magic key to
IFR, and you don't need to be current to use it, you'll probably
kill yourself somehow else, even if you don't get the rating. Good
airmanship means good sense. If you have a reasonable quota of
airmanship/good-sense you'll know when to use it, and when not,
and if you don't you're in the wrong avocation anyway.