Old March 1st 04, 02:13 AM
Jeff

I think the guy is feeding you alot of crap.
there are alot of benefits of instrument training and getting the instrument
rating.
one is lower insurance if you own your own plane the other is you can
legally fly when its below VFR minimums nor do you have to dodge around
clouds when you are going somewhere.

thinking your invincible is not something only instrument pilots do, VFR
pilots do it also. But just because you have an instrument rating does not
mean you can fly in anything. your skills and the plane your flying dictate
the weather you fly in.

Paul Folbrecht wrote:

I had always planned on getting my instrument rating- within the next
year, probably. But last weekend I had a chat with someone who really
got me thinking about it.

This guy is a friend of a friend and is a retired 20,000 hour ATP.
Retired in the 80s flying 707s and I forget what else. Instructed in
Cubs for years. (Guy has nine count 'em nine engine failures in Cubs!
Two inside 20 minutes once!)

So, this is what he told me: unless I'm going to be flying 3 times/week
at least, getting my instrument ticket is a waste and possibly dangerous
as well. He thinks I'll be more likely to end up dead with it than
without it. (Logic being, obviously, that the ticket will give me such
a sense of security that I won't be afraid of hard IMC even when I'm not
current enough to handle it.)

Thoughts on this??