Old April 29th 05, 02:41 PM
Jay Honeck

I was downtown on Saturday night. Waves were ~4 feet, with many
crashing onto the lakeshore bike path. I wouldn't go on the beach
that night. I can't imagine being in the middle of the lake in that
situation.

When I was a kid in Racine, WI, we would wait for high-wave days (in summer,
of course!) and go ride them on inner tubes.

Even in the hottest weather, that water would numb you in a matter of
minutes. And the waves could easily top 3 - 4 feet, after a storm.

I'm frankly surprised he survived the ditching, and was able to get out on
the wing and make a phone call. I can't imagine how dark it must have been
five miles from shore, and the terror of known and impending doom.
*shudder*
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA