Old April 29th 05, 03:39 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"john smith" wrote in message

Lake Watch Reporting Progam is available through Flight Service.
Contact FSS prior to going feet wet.
Call FSS every 10 minutes and report as necessary (High and Dry, or
Mayday!)
Cancel Lake Watch when feet dry.
With the exception of Western Lake Erie where I can island hop within
gliding distance, I will not cross open water without using this service
or or talking to ATC.

It's actually called Lake Reporting Service, one of the Hazardous Area
Reporting Services provided by FSS. The descriptions of them are cleverly
hidden in the AIM in the Air Traffic Control chapter.

I suppose it's better than nothing, but radar coverage over southern Lake
Michigan is good and flight following is definitely superior.