Old June 7th 17, 11:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Letter to the FAA

I see your point. If we had just a bit more safety regarding tug releases all the rest of the risk involved in soaring would be justifiable. Til then we need a nationwide soaring standdown(self launchers too, out of solidarity for your poor brothers.)
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 10:24:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Reading some of the comments on here are disgusting and immature. We have a gentlemen here who has raised concerns after losing his job as a tow pilot from a near fatal accident all while he is taking the high road by avoiding to speak negative of anyone. If you are unable to see that the motivation for this letter, it is for your own benefit. For the people here who are balking at an effort to improve safety, you are the ones who are a massive lead weight to the sport of soaring, this sport would be better off without you. I've first hand seen too many soaring accidents that are quickly covered up and not talked about which leads to no change and then history repeating itself again for no good excuse.

For the ones on here who want freedom, I ask you these question: If your automobile had a recall that was for your safety, would you not do it? If a taxi cab service had the freedom to disregard a recall for a faulty tire that explodes, would you want them to exercise their freedom to not replace the faulty dangerous tire?

Look at the improvements made with spectra ropes. These kind of ropes seldom fail and that's why everyone has switched to them. Can anyone say that this was a poor decision to switch to a more reliable system?

It appears that the Soaring Safety Foundation has become ineffective despite their claims for great success and this is why a pilot is going straight to the FAA. To publicly run down a tow pilot after they lost their job when they are trying to help make advancements for the sport is extremely distasteful. Perhaps a better approach would be to join forces to help find the best solution, which some of you are doing.

I'm shocked that some insurance companies will still cover a towplane that has a defective tow hook much like this discussed. Why would anyone not want to upgrade to a safer system is beyond my comprehension for reasonable thinking except for those who wish to live on the edge and have no regard for their own life.