Old March 24th 19, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Our soaring friends: storks

Around Chicago this time of year we see large flocks of Sandhill Cranes. If there are enough of them they can form the outline of a thermal for you! Spectacular! We also get flocks of migrating Black Tipped Pelicans which can soar very well too. The only problem is that the migration season is during the very early (or late) soaring season in these parts. During the main soaring season we rely on Red Tail Hawks and (recently) Bald Eagles to spot thermals - but the gosh-darn things don't flock!