Old July 26th 03, 04:16 PM
Fred J. McCall

(Brian Allardice) wrote:

:In article ,

:says...
:
:You know, there's a simple answer in that case. If legitimate
:combatants are declared as unlawful combatants and then treated badly
:(tortured, executed, etc.), we go in and kick the ass of the folks who
:do it, but them on trial, and hang them for war crimes.
:
:I'll remember that if GWB ever ends up at the end of a rope..

You know, this is the sort of dumb**** remark that pretty much makes
anything sensible you might say get ignored.

:Note that despite all the 'cautionary tales' from folks who don't like
:our holding these people, we are NOT engaging in any of those things I
:mention above (which always seem to figure in the 'cautionary tales'
:to 'warn' us).
:
at least) 2 murdered at Bhagram,

Yes, and you'll note that WE are the ones who found it, military
coroners made the ruling, there's an ongoing investigation, etc.
Funny how that works, isn't it?

:"stress and duress", hoods, shackles... Not
:quite cricket, that.

Sorry, but all the preceding pretty much ARE 'cricket'. There's no
requirement that people must be kept at the Hilton and fed bonbons.

::The Taliban would seem to fall very clearly under 4.A.1 - hence covered.
:
:Why?
:
:Will you read the damned thing......

I have. Will you? With a brain connected up and running?

I know you want to pretend that the rules about 'clearly identifiable'
only apply to those who don't fall under 4.A.1, but that's merely
silly. Unorganized militias must wear clear and identifiable
insignia, but the regular military can wear sport coats and golf
shoes? I think not.

The overwhelming majority of those fighting for the Taliban were not
part of the armed forces nor were they part of "militias or volunteer
corps forming part of such armed forces". That's why they fall
outside the Conventions.

[There is a somewhat more convincing argument that would put some of
them (but only some of them) within its protections, but you would
have to actually engage in thought to get there, so I'm not expecting
it to happen.]

territory."
--G. Behn