Old May 26th 21, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Replacing aging club Grobs...best options?

On Wednesday, 26 May 2021 at 13:02:20 UTC+1, Airport Bum wrote:
Great information here! Anyone out there have experience with and comments on the PW-6?

I have 254 hours (1417 flights) in a PW6U, all instructing, between 2009 and 2013. All but a couple of flights were from winch launches. The one that I flew was a fairly early model.

It was a very pleasant glider to fly, with light and well-harmonised controls, and no vices. It was very quiet (a blessing when instructing) and pupils liked it too!

The rear cockpit was not large, even for my modest height of 1.8m (5ft11in), and it was easy to have contact between parachute and rearward-hinging rear canopy while climbing in. The rear cockpit was also not well suited for instructing on lengthy flights, as there was no comfortable place to put one's feet when not on the pedals.

It spun (spinned? span?) well on demand, even with pilots near the top of the weight range, which was 110kg (242lb) per seat. Spin recovery was fine, nothing tricky about its spinning behaviour. Demonstration of spin reversal was also straightforward (and quite fun!), unlike any other training 2-seater which I have flown. (Although I _did_ once just manage to demonstrate reversal in a Ka13, to a doubting Thomas. But he was right on the lower weight limit for the front seat.)

Cheers, James.