Old February 11th 15, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default New Cobra trailer - - which top?

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 4:08:23 PM UTC-5, Craig Reinholt wrote:
The aluminum top will look better far longer. Unless you bend it - then the fiberglass top is far easier to repair.

I would question whether insulating the top will actually do any good for anything, unless you are planning on heating the interior.

I've had the insulated AL top trailer for 12 years and agree with the above comments. I believe the insulation reduces sweating inside the trailer. I heat the trailer during the winter months with a chicken incubator (available at any farm hardware store). Incandescent light bulbs have been known to cause fires and this is a much safer alternative.
Al tops are a bit lighter. Reducing hail damage will probably favor fiberglass. Reducing annual maintenance will strongly favor AL tops. Aesthetics, IMO, favor the fiberglass top. Both are top quality products from Spindelberger.

I owned both AL and fiberglass. My next one is going to be fiberglass. Although my AL trailer looks close to new condition I fear if I ever get any damage it is for ever. I saw a fixed AL trailer with a bunch of rivets in wrong places. Fiberglass can always be painted after a couple of years (out gassing completed) and it will look great for a long time reducing the maintenance.