Old February 12th 15, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default New Cobra trailer - - which top?

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 4:36:10 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I've only owned glass tops (3). IMHO the work to keep it looking nice makes Alum look appealing. Glass is like waxing four cars...unless it needs rubbing out, then it's like ten cars......"Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important".

As Andrzej says, one thing that could be done is to wait a bit for the glass and gelcoat to settle down, then scuff and shoot the whole thing with PU. I think that would cut the maintenance by quite a lot for 10 years or so anyway. Add that to the cost of the trailer. Good PU finishes don't require waxing (and it will not extend their life in any case), just wash it once in awhile. Which costs more to begin with, FRP or ALU?