Old January 6th 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.navy
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

Default Varyag aircraft carrier

"jkochko68" wrote in message

There are a couple of problems with this theory

1) Recon satellites are not able to monitor a given ship 24/7
They are typically in polar orbits and a given satellite will only
overfly
a specified target for a matter of minutes per day

True but a ship can only move so far each day and once you start using
multiple
sats you can get the location of the carrier down well enough for a
maritime recon.

At 25 knots you can move move a hell of a long way in 24 hours. Do the math
the area to search is pi*r*r where r is 24*25 in nautical miles, thats a
LARGE
search area

BUFF to get a fix. Then you always have the shadow ships, subs, planes
SOSUS (if in area) ...

B-52's dont have good maritime search radar

Its not like we are talking about Brazil having a potent navy with
(pehaps) few major Air Force
and Navy bases in theatre. We have Taiwan to help out, Japan, S. Korea
etc. and major bases. With
the end of the Cold War we have a large lack of true demand for our
naval assets especially our submarines...the Navy
would gladly track that ship to ensure its budget.

None of which helps find a carrier using recon birds or defends a B-52 if it
strays within
Harpoon range of a carrier.

2) The typical antiship missile used by the B-52 is the AGM-84 Harpoon
Since this has a relatively short range you wouldnt want to risk
an unescorted B-52 that close to a carrier.

Easier solution. Two or three F/A-22s with LGB bunker busters into the
flight deck. It would probably be the fastest carrier to sink.

JK

First find your carrier - its harder than you think.
Second - defend the strikke assets from carrier fighters.

Keith