Old November 13th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default micro mesh on canopies

BB wrote:
I don't have any deep scratches, just 5 years of age in a reasonably
well cared for canopy, and it sure would be nice if it looked like
new. It sounds like the answer is that this will do a lot to restore
that brand-new clarity.

My thought is micro-mesh is overkill for a canopy like you describe. My
canopy is 13 years old, and I don't consider it worthwhile even for it.
What does restore most of the original clarity is a cleaner/polisher
like "210" (Sumner Laboratories), available from Wings&Wheels and
others. These products appear to fill in the tiny scratches and hazing
that accumulate over the years, and make it look remarkably better in 5
minutes or so. Borrow or buy a can: it's worth trying, and it will
likely be good enough.

If you still want to try Micro-mesh, get a piece from a broken canopy
(or a piece of Plexiglas) and practice on it first.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org