Old July 22nd 05, 05:05 PM
George Patterson

Maule Driver wrote:
Actually, I can bring my Maule down an ILS at 115+ knots. Flaps in
negative (that's the key), low cruise power (about 2400rpm fixed pitch
before applying flaps), produces about 4-500 fpm and 115 knots. Just
keep the power below redline. Minimal trim changes required due to the
flaps. I fly vectors at cruise then just reflex the flaps when hitting
the slope.

It would be really awkward doing it without the reflex flaps. Lots of
trim required and a very bouyant aircraft with all that high lift wing.

The critical words here are "to the numbers". Actually, I start
chopping, triming and flapping at dh and still make an early turnoff.

BTW, my Maule cruises at 114knots at 2600 rpm, flaps normal. The only
thing limiting a faster descent down the slope is engine redline.

You have the 180? I had the 160hp version. Cruise at 103 knots at just under
2650 rpm.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.