View Single Post
Old December 13th 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:30:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I received an email with good questions about the petition and FAI US Club Class. Here are my answers:

Q. I feel bad for those that own nice ships that would be excluded from the fun?

A. I agree FAI rules are fun compared to US Rules. Guys with nice ASG29’s and V2’s really need to talk to the rules committee if they want FAI rules for their class. I don’t think anyone in Club Class would object to high performance (or low performance) gliders as a “G” guest in the Club Class. Currently “G” guests get scored but not ranked. Keep in mind tasking would ONLY be based on pure Club Class gliders.

Q. What about a poor guy that spent his retirement money on a LS 6 or a ASW 20c?

A. ASW 20 b and c have been allowed in past WGC and should be INCLUDED in the FAI US Club Class. I think Guy Byars statement carries wisdom and direction. "The trick is to preserve the spirit and the simplicity of the FAI rules, but at the same time make them a bit more palatable to US pilots."

Q. By the official FAI definition aren’t Ventus 1s also excluded?

A. Yes. However, there is discussion about LS6 and V1’s either staying in US Rules Sports Class or being allowed in FAI US Club Class.

Q. What happens to the Sports Class when this all goes down?

A. Nothing changes in Sports Class. Club Class eligible gliders have the choice of staying in Sports Class or fly US FAI Club Class. All other gliders stay in the Sports Class

Q. Will there be less participation overall?

A. No, in fact the opposite. We will grow participation. FAI US Club Class advocates are ready to market and grow the class. We are not just pulling from the Sports Class roster. One Club Class advocate alone grew Region 6 participation from 8 gliders to 45.

Q. Aren’t we a shrinking, dying sport as it is? Do we really want to put up more barriers?

A. Exactly, putting up barriers to growth won’t help our shrinking sport. We want to give pilots a contest choice. We want pilots given the option to say YES not told NO. Let’s attract those who stay at home disenchanted with US Rules. Let’s channel enthusiasm in a positive growth direction. There is little chance enthusiastic FAI Club Class advocates will take time to market participation for another US Rules based class.

Sean Franke (HA)

If you are in agreement join us on the petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/262/8...out-exception/

This petition is totally meaningless and useless due to the fact that it is a one answer railroad job. If the creators were looking for useful information they would have also asked how many pilots are satisfied with the action of the rules committee, and/or didn't want any changes made to the sports class at all.

My prediction is that if said options were offered to the pilots who have/will fly sports class this petition would be overwhelmingly rejected.

KS