Old August 10th 15, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 6:58:25 PM UTC-4, John Cochrane wrote:
A question:

Another request we are hearing a lot of is the request to make US contests more like worlds, and in particular to support team flying where possible.. (Along with simplification)

Flarm is enormously valuable to team flying. Ask anyone who has tried it. The ability to see where your "team mate" is without endless radio chatter, especially if he's behind you, makes the whole thing work better.

While flarm is allowed in worlds (which, granted, may not be forever), is this an important consideration? Similarly, if all the dark arts that UH described are going on at worlds, is getting good at this sort of thing important to US pilots? Or is it better to go our own way?

John Cochrane

Clarification- UH did not describe those dark arts in the paper. That was a very high standing UK comp pilot who knows of what he speaks, I believe.
I'm hoping to get an OK for attribution.

UH