Old January 11th 05, 01:03 AM
John_F

You have an electrical problem with the probe, wire to the probe or
the gauge. When something gets hot the resistance goes up and the
gage reading falls. Most likely a bad crimp somewhere on one of the
electrical connections but could be on any of the connectors or even
the gauge itself.

On 10 Jan 2005 06:56:36 -0800, Bob Fry
wrote:

Folks, I'm hoping you can help me diagnose an odd EGT gage behavior.

Background: 1965 Aircoupe with Continental C90-16F engine (has vacuum
pump). Plane based in N. California so freezing temps not a factor
(pre-heat not needed nor used). Has both a CHT and EGT on different
cylinders, with the two-needle combined gage in the cockpit. The CHT
works fine, the EGT was working fine until 2-3 months ago.

Now, the EGT fairly consistently acts like this: it reads "normal" on
cold start, taxi, runup and takeoff. Climbout it reads around 1200
deg F. like it always did. Then, after a few minutes, it starts to
fall, and within maybe a minute or two, the needle quivers at the
bottom of the scale. It never recovers from that; but at next flight
a week or two later the same behavior happens. I never notice any
change in engine performance or sound.

Would a stuck exhaust value cause this? But wouldn't I notice
something from the engine? What else could cause this repeating
strange behavior? Maybe it's something heat related?

Thanks,
Bob