Old January 16th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tech Support

Default Airliner crashes into Hudson River after LGA departure

Again. Talk without correct data.

In my thousands of jet hours only saw mechanical engine failures
(turbine wheel and blades, compressor blades, generator/starter
failures, loss of oil pressure, etc,) Rare but all happened.

Had a few bird strikes, up to duck size, in turbine and on air frame
with not enough damage to prevent further flight and routine landing.

My last flight, on active duty, was in a T-39 going into the Springs
with a full load of passengers.

Lost oil pressure on starboard engine over Omaha and shut down. Flew
on into the Springs and made single engine landing. Just another day
in the office.

Big John

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:12:23 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Kingfish writes:

Holy smokes! CNN is reporting an airliner went down in the Hudson
after departing LaGuardia. I heard something about birdstrikes, but
can't imagine a double engine failure due to that(?) They sure picked
a cold day to go swimming... Hope everybody is ok...

Bird strikes are a leading cause of engine failure. Jet engines don't often
fail all on their own.