Old April 3rd 05, 06:47 PM
nafod40

Pete Schaefer wrote:
So, what things on the airplane are you guys going to replace with
self-powered blue tooth devices?

I'm typing out loud here...

When I suggested bluetooth the other day, what I had in mind was a kit
that you would temporarily hang on an airplane for specific tests, much
like we hang all the orange on Navy aircraft for flight tests. Much more
accurate pitot-static, vib sensors, postion sensors, data loggers, etc.
You could, for example, have a kit for flight testing an RV-8. Pop it
on, do the tests, and remove it. Or it could be used for "external
stores" such as a camera.

Afterward, I contemplated replacing all signal wires with wireless. So
any wire not carrying power could be replaced. This might be especially
useful for a refit, where access is far more difficult than during
initial construction.

Other harebrained ideas...two planes in semi-close formation could
network via bluetooth. Why? Could be low prob. of intercept comms on a
private channel, sharing of nav data, text messaging, ipod music files.

There's an ongoing thread on rec.aviation.soaring on bluetooth and
cellphones aboard planes.