Old May 30th 04, 11:21 PM
Guy Alcala

As a general rule I don't respond to threads started by trolls, but some of what
you wrote below in response is both on topic and factually incorrect, so I'll
correct it.

WalterM140 wrote:

snip

I watched with great interest the British attack on the Falklands. It's not
generally known, but only @ 40% of the bombs that hit Brit warships actually
detonated.

I guess that depends on how you define 'generally known.' It's certainly well
known among many of the readers of this NG, and even more generally known among the
readers of s.m.n.

They were US munitions left over from WWII.

No, they weren't. The Fuerza Aerea Argentina used British Mk. 13/18 series 1,000
lb. bombs, US. Mk. 82 500 lb. bombs (the CANA A-4s used the Snakeye retarded
version; the FAA used the slick version), and French Para-retard bombs, either 250
or 400kg (sources differ. Photos I've seen of one of the French duds at Ajax Bay
looks to me more like a 250 than 400 kg job.) All of these bombs are post-WW2
vintage, with the possible exception of some of the British bombs used by the
Canberras. The Mk. 82s would definitely date from post-1965, which is when
Argentina received the first A-4s. The Mk. 82 wasn't even around in WW2, not
entering service until the mid-50s or so. I suspect the same is true for the
French para-retard weapons, if they didn't date from even later.

Reduce that dud rate to
zero and the whole Brit expeditionary force becomes POWs.

You could equally say reduce the dud rate to zero and the odds are good the FAA
doesn't have any a/c left, because most of them have been shot down. The reason so
few bombs detonated is because the FAA pilots had the normal instinct for
self-preservation, and usually flew as low and fast as they could to make the job
of the defenses much harder. But this meant that bombs were often dropped from
altitudes too low to allow sufficient time for fuse operation, so many of the bombs
dudded, or the fuse delays were so long (to allow time for the wingmen to clear the
target before the bombs exploded) that bombs which weren't stopped by structure
inside the ship passed on through and out the other side before exploding. The
whole reason for the defenses was to make the pilots more worried about survival
than destroying their targets, thus increasing the incident of duds. CTG 317.0
(the amphibious shipping), Commodore Clapp, was very glad that the Argentine pilots
were chosing to make level bomb runs instead of pop-up dive attacks, for just that
reason.

On the few occasions where the defensive fire was minimal, the pilots were
willing/able to climb high enough before dropping (ca. 300 feet AGL for a slick Mk.
82) that the fuses had time to operate, and the 'dud' rate dropped off accordingly.

Guy