Old October 14th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
John T[_1_]

Default 3D 'printers' was: Machine shop information needed.

No, they can't make structural parts. One company demonstrated did
demonstrate the strength of their material by building a skateboard sans
trucks, added the trucks and rode it for a bit-no fancy stuff though.

You are right about using the printed part for a sandcasting core. One
company makes a material specifically for this use.

A company in germany makes a 3D printer that uses powdered metal melted
by a laser to make parts. I wouldn't trust them for structural purposes
either though.

However, in all cases, the material isn't cheap!! The 3D printer we use
costs just 1.23 a cubic inch for the material, plust cost of the binder
(glue), electricity, maintainence, etc would be closer to 3 or 4 bucks a
cubic inch.

Bill Daniels wrote:
I just read an article that said these things are going to be consumerized
soon. Essentially, they take a PC CAD drawing and, using plastic resin,
make a 3Dpart. I'm not sure what kind of resin but there are engineering
expoxies that can be hardened with a UV LED or laser.

My question is will they be useful for homebuilders. I can see making
plastic sand cast cores and maybe custom knobs but could they make
structural items?

Bildan

"Judah" wrote in message
.. .
Dave wrote in news:tDVLi.2948$yc5.2028
@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

I have a friend with a Ercoupe whose steering knuckle/assembly has been
worn to where it is too sloppy.

It's about 2.20 inches in diameter and rotates on the nose strut assy.
It's what the scissors are attach to. It either needs to be bushed or
trued up and add a bearing sleeve to the mating surface.

Are there any machine shops in the DFW area that can do this kind of
work for a decent price?

Thanks

Dave

emachineshop.com