Old January 12th 15, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default FAA Is Deputizing Police Forces Across The U.S.In The Fight Against Illegal Drone Use

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 12:00:31 -0500, Vaughn wrote:

On 1/12/2015 10:28 AM, Larry Dighera wrote:

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Seeks-Police-Help-Controlling-Drone-Use223376-1.html

FAA Seeks Police Help Controlling Drone Use

I wonder how many police departments are presently operating technically
illegal drones?

Vaughn

Given the recent fatalities inflicted on unarmed suspects by LEOs, Law
enforcement faces little fear of prosecution for law violations, unfortunately.

What I'm wondering is, what incentive would a police force have to assist the
FAA with their enforcement responsibilities. Typically, the state, county or
city will receive a portion of any fines collected for citations that result in
convictions. But, does the FAA have the power to levy fines on the general
public, as opposed to holders of airmans certificates? If the entity with
jurisdiction where the alleged drone violation may have occurred doesn't have a
statute against drone operation, how would the LEO cite?

One wonders why the UAS manufacturers refuse to equip their products with TCAS
and transponders. It seems to me, that would go a long way toward reducing the
hazard UAVs pose to air traffic operating within the NAS.