Old May 16th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Default Spoilers or Airbrakes - Whats in a name?

On May 16, 9:31 am, ContestID67 wrote:
I spotted the following statement in Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler...%28aircraft%29

"Spoilers differ from airbrakes in that airbrakes are designed to
increase drag while making little change to lift, while spoilers
greatly reduce lift while making only a moderate increase in drag."

I had always used the terms spoilers and airbrakes interchangeable.
This statement makes it seem like they are not. So what does the
typical sailplane have? Spoilers or airbrakes?

- John "67" DeRosa

Oh boy!

According the the original Glasser-Dirks owner's manual for a DG100G,
the sailplane has "spoilers".