Old March 2nd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

Default Just two days left to try to stop an expensive and worthlessFAA mandate on ADS-B

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 03:02:20 +0000, Ron Lee wrote:

Full details at:

http://stopads-b.org/ADS.htm

This document is incorrect in at least one way. It claims that there's
no benefit to GA because there's no mandated IN functionality. But this
proposal makes a benefit available to GA because of the mandated OUT
functionality.

A GA owner can choose to invest in ADS-B-IN. If the owner does so, the
pilot sees all traffic because of the mandated OUT functionality in all
those other aircraft. If there were no mandated OUT functionality, this
benefit would not be available to the GA pilot.

What is true is that this mandates the least possible cost w/o giving up
the aforementioned benefit. Personally, I *like* that. While the OUT
mandate is required for benefit to everyone, the IN benefit accrues only
to the owner/pilot. We should be free to choose that - or not -
ourselves since only we are impacted by this choice.

- Andrew