Old January 18th 09, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gavin Short[_2_]

Default F-16 glider

At 20:00 17 January 2009, wrote:
http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/SUPERGT/3384/

For those not familiar with fighter aircraft, EPU (Electrical Power
Unit) provides hydraulic and electrical power in event of failure of
the engine. The EPU is powered by Hydrazine which decomposes into hot
gasses as it passes across a catalyst bed or engine bleed air (if
available). The hot air passes through a turbine which drive the
emergency hydraulic pump and generator through a gear box.

My buddy at work who is a Portuguese air force officer, also called Mario,
and I discuss glide characteristics and other aviation stuff. We have to
because we are both 'flying desks' at the moment. At least I get to fly
my Std Cirrus at weekends.

Apparently the glide ratio of an F-16 with the engine out is 1:1 so the
pilot's rate of breathing in the video clip is impressively calm!

When I had winglets fitted to the Std Cirrus last year we came to the
conclusion that winglets probably wouldn't make the slightest bit of
difference on the F-16.

He is looking forward to some flights in the club's Grob 103 Twin Acro II
when the weather improves.

Gavin
Std Cirrus, CNN now G-SCNN, #173
LSV Viersen, Keiheuvel, Belgium