Old February 18th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Hearing Aids

Anybody here use them? Care to share a PIREP?

Age and ignorance has caught up with me. I'm due for my next medical in
April and I'm trying to decide between the BTE or ITE model. Oh, that's
behind-the-ear or in-the-ear. I'm in a trial period and can choose between
them.
Both models have a switch position that allows electromagnetic pickup
from the headsets to prevent feedback. In either case, they effectively
block out more sound in that mode -- like the stall warning indicator.
That's no big deal, I haven't been able to hear that for the last couple
years anyway with the headset on.
The ITE seems more convenient since I don't snag the little plastic tube
that loops over the top of the ear and into the ear canal, but it feels like
I'm walking around with a banana in each ear most of the time.
The BTE, like I said, gets snagged now and then but they aren't affected
as much by wind noise when walking in the open. They are only a little more
comfortable, but slightly harder to maintain.

Which ones do you use? Pros? Cons?

The ignorance part in the first paragraph was not knowing about hearing
protection when I was on competitive rifle and pistol teams in the USMC --
and working in the 3rd Marine Air Wing. All prior to 1964. Don't ask my age.