Old August 19th 11, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default Using XCOM and Flight Line radios in certificated gliders

to make it as quite simple ..........Radios (transceivers) have to have FCC
approval.....TSO is not a requirement for transceiver or for that matter
most other equipment unless called out in the TCDS, or requirements under a
specific Part of the FAR's for that 'required" operation typical usually to
aircraft operated under Part 135, 121 and then when specifically called out
for intended operation.
If TSO were a requirement for all equipment in all aircraft then I think
we'd be in for a big change when confronted with the opeation of all
electric variometers, flight computers, PDA's Oudies, ClearNav's to name a
few, even right down to simple electronic variometers, none of which have
even been TSO'd or for that matter received even the most basic FAA approval
of any issued and then installed......they, like radios for most glider
operations are "optional" and non-required equipment for "most"
operations...that being operated outside airspace where they are not
required for operation of the aircraft
Tim mara
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Paul Remde" wrote in message
Hi,

A customer has asked me whether or not it is legal to install and use a
non-FAA-approved radio such as the XCOM 760 or FlightLine FL-760 in a type
certificated glider. XCOM's statement on the subject is copied below.
Some aircraft mechanics and avionics shops seem OK with installing those
radios and other flat refuse to. I don't have anything similar from
FlightLine.

Below is an excerpt from a note received from XCOM on this subject.

"Our aircraft radio is not TSO'd but it does have the necessary FAA and
FCC approvals for fitting into certified aircraft. In fact there are
hundreds in the USA fitted to aircraft in either the standard or the
primary category." He copied me on the FAA and FCC certificates - which
are on my web site he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/xcom.htm.

The customer has an A&P that is very hesitant to approve the use of those
radios - unless someone can show paperwork showing that they were received
approval to do so - such as a 337 that was submitted and approved.

I should know more about this, but I have received so many differing
opinions, that I don't know what to believe.

I imagine I'll get a million different opinions on this subject, and I
welcome them. But opinions are not what the customer needs. He needs
specific examples and paperwork - if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.