Old September 5th 05, 04:31 AM
Jack Allison

Mark Hansen wrote:
I'm thinking about getting into an airplane partnership (or co-ownership)
and have a few questions.

Hehe...I knew it would happen eventually. Welcome to the club...well,
um...almost. It's only a matter of time now.

When people say that you can't really save money with ownership over
renting, does that include partnerships as well? I would think that
with a 4-way partnership, the operating costs would be reduced to
a level such that it would be cheaper than renting.

For me (and just looking at the per-hour costs plus my monthly fixed
costs) it's cheaper than renting. Currently, two of us fly a ton and
one doesn't fly much. If I fly 10 hours a month (and I've been doing
way more), I figure it costs me 1/2 of the going rental rate for an Arrow.

One plane I'm looking at shows a monthly cost of around $50 with
an hourly rate of about $58/wet. This seems pretty good

....um...ya, that does seem pretty cheap for a Mooney...but I'm not up to
speed on their cost figures nor familiar with the particular plane.

Before buying into an existing partnership would you still suggest
a full pre-purchase inspection? I would think at a minimum I would
want someone to go over the logs and make sure the partners are not
looking for a way to defray some of the costs of some looming expenditure.

If it was me, I'd buy a couple hours worth of an A&Ps time and go
through the logs. If the opinion was that it's a well maintained plane
and I felt comfortable with the partners, I'd skip the pre-buy. If it
would make me sleep better at night having the pre-buy done, I'd do it.

Oh, and one more thing Mark. Be ready to walk away if anything goes
South or just starts not to feel right.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student