Old August 7th 03, 02:17 PM
Fred J. McCall

(The Revolution Will Not Be Televised) wrote:

:On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 04:46:25 GMT, Fred J. McCall
wrote:
:
:Seems my last name was shared by a fairly large number of folks in the
:county, from the Sheriff on down, and that they had something of a
:reputation for standing together against pretty much everyone else.
:
:Pretty much standard North American Scotch-mist jockaramic mythology.

What the hell is that supposed to mean in English?

:Strange how nobody celebrates the mass of Scottish immigration to
:North America, which consisted of economic migrants with little or no
:Robin Hoodised retrospective anti-authoritarian posturing. But then
:it's not quite as entertaining to discover the single Scots ancestor
amongst the millions of less romantic ancestors, such as English,
:German, Lithuanian or second-generation American) was a teenage
:indentured servant and not Rob Roy.

What are you smoking to get THAT out of the paragraph you quote? I
merely note the fact as it existed. The McCalls in that particular
part of North Carolina were numerous and known to be a touchy and
feuding lot if crossed. You somehow permute this into, well, I'm not
sure WHAT you permuted it into.

Note that I wasn't related to any of them, by the way. My family got
here out of Canada via upstate New York, which is a hell of a long way
from North Carolina.

Looks to me like you have a lot of your own silly prejudices you need
to learn to get around.

territory."
--G. Behn