Old August 7th 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AndersP

Default Shipping a Glider from Europe

mattm wrote:
On Aug 7, 8:30 am, Coucked wrote:
I am considering the purchase of a glider that I would have to ship
from Switzerland to an East Coast port. Can anyone give me some
direction on the best way to accomplish this. The things I'm most
concerned about are; official paperwork, customs, funds transfer and
shipping.

Gawd, there was a fellow in our club who imported a Grob 103 with
trailer from Belgium several years ago. As I remember it stayed
parked for about 6 months while he chased the paperwork. I would
contact your FSDO and ask them about the process so you have it
all mapped out ahead of time. As I remember my friend's problem
stemmed from the fact that he needed paperwork from Belgium
cancelling the registration of the plane there before he could proceed
to register it here. I've also seen some discussion in the HP forum
about moving planes back and forth between the US and Canada,
which sometimes occurs smoothly, even.

-- Matt

A kind reminder, Switzerland is not part of the European Union, this
probably means that whatever is valid for many countries in Europe may
not be valid for Switzerland. May be worse, may be better, but most
probably... different.

Beware.

Cheers,
Anders P