Old September 10th 03, 05:57 PM
Roger Long

I always hold Vx (except maybe with nervous passengers) until I'm clear of
surrounding obstacles. This also helps keep me in practice for short
fields. Then I generally transition to Vy until pattern altitude or the
fence to reduce the noise footprint and get some wiggle room if something
happens to the engine. After that, I drop the nose to 80 which I might do
sooner at an uncontrolled field with traffic.

Anything between 70 and 85 is "recommended" in the POH. There is only
performance data for 73 and slower.

--
Roger Long
Ron Natalie wrote in message
m...

"Roger Long" om wrote

in message
Climbing at the speeds given in the Cessna POH for our 172 N are not a
particularly good idea.

Well, I'd hold the recommended speeds until I was assured of not hitting
any terrain.

Also attentitive to Vy makes a big difference when you takeoff from

elevations
higher than what you find in Maine.