Old May 21st 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Rotherham

Default travel time to gliding site / club?

At 08:30 21 May 2008, Malcolm Austin wrote:
Separate to the quality of the flying, I believe that distance is less
isnip
I would be interested in what you are currently seeing on fuel costs :-

Hi Malcolm :-) Thank you for the detailed feedback 9and all other
contributors). It is most interesting to read (with tongue in cheek for a
couple but that is to prevent 'envy' from being displayed on my part....
WHO has a REAL job when you either live the wrong side of the airfield OR
can WALK to the airfield.... BIG SMILE) and in my own case living
approx 9 Km from Jhb International (oops, sorry, need to be PC - O.R.
Tambo) puts us bang in middle of TMA. This then is why need to travel to
edge of air space in order to fly gliders. Tried power flying / motor
gliding at close by airfield (25 min, about 15Km) but it is not the
same... Yes, fuel is a big factor and currently rocketing in price :-(
Agree that 'quality' is worth more than travel time / cost and as
'inactive' for a decade or more and not getting younger, decided time to
again take to the sky! Big factor is hangerage as the Jaskolka (my glider)
is not a easy / quick rig ship (1956 ish) plus reliance on 'crew / club
members is marginal being that I do not belong in the "glass racing ship
brigade"... I digress... Current fuel cost is acceptable as I drive a
diesel and manage about 5 lt / 100Km on a run (Alfa GT 1.9 - VERY nice!
Well I think so...) Different story if I were to use my 'other'
vehicle, 1990 Range Rover classic at about 18l /100Km if being careful!
Problem is no tow bar on the Alfa and the Rangie is a fantastic tow
vehicle! Guess will have to curb the idea of x/c... Oh, fuel is now over
R10 per litre... As always, have FUN and FLY SAFE! very best regards to
all