Old August 11th 03, 03:28 PM
Margy Natalie

Default Navion Parts Availability

"PiperSeneca@" wrote:

What is the parts availability like for 1940's vintage Navions?

Not bad at all. One guy just bought the contents of the Navion factory.
From what I've heard, the people that bought the paperwork are trying to
make the parts considered bogus, but I don't think they have a chance.
He got 9 truckloads of parts including things people hadn't seen in
years. The Navion Society has some drawings that they have been making
parts from for years (the guys that bought the rest of the drawings are
trying to make those bogus also). We've never had problems getting parts.

And how much commonality do they have with the later upgraded models
up through the 60's Rangemasters?

Not sure, but I'm also not sure I'd call a Rangemaster an upgrade (as she
ducks from the objects being thrown by rangemaster owners).

There seem to be several Navion owners groups. If so, what's the
difference between them?

Politics! Well, a few more differences. The American Navion Society is a
company and it has a large parts dept. You must be a memeber to buy
parts. Navion Skies has a great want ads section and they organized more
trips (South Africa, Europe, etc.). We belong to both.

And finally, ownwers impressions of the aircraft would be appreciated.

Best airplane ever made :-). Big, roomy, can carry the kitchen sink.
Faster than a 172, not as fast as a Bonanza. We can carry camping gear
for a long week and 2 folding motor bikes with no problem. It handles
very nicely and is rather docile. Ours is in for the conversion to an
IO550 and we've gotten a bad case of the might as wells. It will be great
when it's done!!!

You need to get a copy of the Navion Societies "How to buy a Navion".
It's a bit dated, but so are the planes :-). We had a GO-435 engine in
ours. It was great while it lasted, but when it blows you really need to
re-engine and that's $$$$. If you know that going in it isn't too bad and
ours lasted 6 years. If you can find one with a big (modern) engine in it
from the start it is great, but more expensive.

You should join the societies now and get to know some Navion folks. They
are your best resources when you are looking at planes. If you can find
the local Navion mechanic that would be a big help also.

Margy