Old August 16th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default Collision alert!

Greg Copeland:
I promptly jumped on the assigned heading and altitude given to me by
Dallas Departure. I was flying along at 3500 feet on a heading of 170.
Several traffic advisories had been given and the usual "contact" or "no
joy" banter went back and forth. I was content and continued to stay on
heading, hold my altitude, and work the radios. I was happy and so were
my passengers.

The proper terminology is "NEGATIVE CONTACT" or "TRAFFIC IN SIGHT"
"Contact" is wrong and so is "No Joy." Banter is not conducive
to effective communcations.

This time, I did not bother with the radio.

Very good. Avigate, Navigate, Communicate (or the corollary: "It's
Bernoulli not Marconi that makes it fly). Your duty in visual
conditions is to avoid the other aircraft regardless of what services
you are receiving from ATC.