Old October 13th 03, 02:33 PM

I'm sure it's CYA. Of course make sure the final setup is
grounded for safety... it's a serious issue.

I've been using autofuel for 6 months or so with 6 gallon cans.
So far, no real big issue, but I did consistently find a bit of crud and
water in the fuel sump. Three weeks ago I rigged up one of the spin-on,
water-absorbing filters as a "pour-spout" on the 6 gallon cans. After
flushing the tanks of all the crud (including pieces of stickers
apparently scraped in there when the previous owner stripped and painted
the plane), it's clean as a whistle. Now the one issue I had with running
cargas (contaminated fuel) is resolved. Nice to finally draw a sample
with *absolutely no* particulates or water. Even avgas pumped from
various airports tend to have a few little particles here and there.

Cheers
-Cory

BTW, Jay... how much water and gunk have you found in your system
after running hundreds (thousands?) of gallons through? Cut open the
filter when you change it if you haven't already....

Ben Smith wrote:
: Hello -

: I'm starting to purchase parts one-by-one to build a mogas fuel transport
: trailer, and noticed something about the pump, and filters.

: The 12v Fill-Rite transfer pump I'm looking at has a tag on it that reads
: something like: "Warning: Not for refueling of aircraft".

: And, the spin on fuel filters are all stamped: "Not for use with aviation
: fuels"...

: So what's the deal? Are they really not for fueling aircraft, or just 'CYA'
: precautions on behalf of the manufacturers? Looks to be 'CYA' material to
: me.

: --
: Ben
: C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y