Old August 11th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
David E. Powell

Default (Photo) Su-24 Flanker or MiG-23/MiG-27?

On Aug 10, 1:56*pm, "Andrew Chaplin"
wrote:
"George Ruch" wrote in message

"David E. Powell" wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...08/08/08/GA200....

Looks like the Flanker but I could be wrong, I can't quite tell if
that is a single or double exhaust. Photo #10. [...]

It looks more like an SU-24 Fencer
(http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/su-24.htm).
Distinguishing marks are the radome, vertical stab, and the
external fuel tank mounting.

Definitely FENCER: single vert stab and variable geometry, no deep ventral
strake, the latter ruling out FLOGGER. The thought of regiments of these
flying with ARMs kept us air defenders in West Germany awake at night as we
updated our estimates and recalculated our ammo expenditure rates.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Thank you guys. I'm sorry, I got so caught in the moment I confused my
NATO designations :*(

* = Blush

Recon Fencer then? For stuff like the long strikes into certain areas
I could see them being used.

Has a lot of attack missions it can be configured for, everything from
naval attack to Maverick-type missiles to laser guided I am guessing.
Wonder if the Russians have some sort of JDAM type unit tied into
their GLONASS system or even GPS?