Old September 22nd 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Default Ground launch payout winch systems...Are they suitable forgliders?

I have done a few launches behind Gary's payout system.

it is on awesome system from a functionality stand point in that you
launch, wind up the rope and drive back to the starting point to set
up for the next launch. The rope drags very little and setting up for
the next launch is quick.

I didn't see any advantage in runway length required. But then I was
doing it on a 3 mile plus dry lake so it wasn't an issue and 2000 ft +
tows were no problem.

I suspect that on a 5000 foot runway it would be comparable to a
straight auto tow in launch height.

Brian
HP16T