Old October 26th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Default FLARM.....for good, or evil??

Mark Dickson wrote:
Of course I have, in comps on numerous occasions. I'm assuming you
haven't.

At 15:21 26 October 2010, John Smith wrote:
Mark Dickson wrote:
When in a large gaggle Flarm is next to useless, more of a

distraction;
that's why it has a 5 minute mute function. In the big gaggle ignore
Flarm and keep your eyes scanning outside.

Let me guess: You haven't ever flown with FLARM yet, have you?

I like those top-posts. They make followin a discussion so much more
interesting. Anyway:

Of course FLARM is useless in a gaggle. The very fact that you care to
mention this made me believe that you haven't flown with one. And of
course scanning outside ist the primary strategy for see and avoid, in a
gaggle or not, even with FLARM installed.

However, I don't understand why FLARM should be distracting in a gaggle.
In a gaggle, mine is quiet unless a new glider joins. Or have you set
yours to announce all traffic instead of only the conflicting? You know
that you can change this mode by the push of a button?