Old September 10th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler

Default A gaggle of questions about traning from an old geezer...

SimGuy wrote:

3) Regarding the required 50 hours x-country time for the instrument
rating. I am confused about the circumstances in which 2 pilots can
both log PIC simultaneously. My understanding was that one
circumstance is when PIC#1 manipulates the controls under the hood and
PIC#2 acts as safety pilot. Is this the only case or can two private
pilots log x-country simultaneously on a regular trip (more than 50nm
etc.)?

Read the regulations and interpret them literally.

What you get here will be opinions with no particular authority. If
that's what you want, here's my opinion:
If the two pilots agree beforehand that the safety pilot will act as
PIC, then the safety pilot can log PIC because he IS PIC, and the
pilot-flying can log PIC because he is the sole manipulator of the controls.

More opinion: this is an unnecessary complication. Just fly the hours
and don't try to be tricky.

4) During training (with the instructor), how much flying, if any, is
performed in actual IMC? I ask because I would like to fly early in
the morning, and on most days, OAK is 1000' overcast until after 9am.

That depends on your instructor, and how much confidence he has in you
keeping the shiny side up.